Tuesday, January 20, 2015

1st Day at Sea....Cruising the Caribbean

Monday, January 19, 2015…..Ship-board life
1st Day at Sea
The Emerald Princess sailed smoothly overnight as we proceeded south into the Gulf of Mexico.  I woke up at 5:30, got dressed and grabbed my tablet and Daniel Silva novel, The Mark of the Assassin, and headed to the International Café down the hall.  This is one reason I like the Plaza Deck, the I-Café is close. 
I ordered coffee and turned on the tablet.  After logging on twice I finally got on-line and checked the news.  The world was still spinning.  Terrorists are still out there, the government is still wasting taxpayers’ money and President Obama is proposing a tax hike.  That will go over like a lead balloon with the Republican Congress.  Oh well, I logged out and opened my novel.  At least I’m on a ship in the middle of the ocean and who cares.
We had ordered room service coffee at 7:00 so back I went to check on Mary Alice.  We watched the news together and I checked Facebook and e-mails. Both of us were feeling energetic so we walked a mile on the Promenade Deck.  We later met back in the I-Café, early enough to grab a table for the fruit and vegetable carvings and a couple of crazy passenger-involved games.  I challenged her to a game of Scrabble and she won, but not by much!  Mary Alice has been playing Word with Friends with her son Jim (2 Masters Degrees) and nephew Dylan (PhD in Math) for a couple of years and this makes her just about unbeatable.    (Wayne! I can’t beat either one though! They’re too smart for me!)
After lunch I hosted a Veterans get-together which I do any time my buddy Captain Ron Jones isn’t aboard. He’s the original host on Princess for these!  I met a WW2 Navy veteran who drove LST’s in the Pacific and participated in the Battle of Okinawa. We had a Korean veteran and many Vietnam vets.  We toasted them all and thanked them for their service.
The afternoon was as laid back as the morning culminating in a nap, except for MA who went to the Line Dancing class! This was formal night so we got all dressed up, met Michel and Chantal, at the Captain’s champagne party, got our pictures taken and finally dinner, which took almost two hours for all the courses…..zzzzzzzz!  Thus go the days on Princess!  So pleased to have Michel and Chantal here to share the good times!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments-Questions-Just Say Hello...........let us hear from you. WW&MA