Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Cold and Rainy Day in Bar Harbor








A Cold and Rainy Day in Bar Harbor
We arrived in Bar Harbor, Maine this morning to the sound of rain hitting the deck. Our plan for the day was to get on a National Park Service bus and tour Acadia National Park. But breakfast came first and then the tender shuttle to shore. Bar Harbor like Newport does not have a dock to handle cruise ships so the only way to shore is by small tender craft. The rain was steady and I did not expect to take many photographs.
We walked up the street and found the park bus vendor and got our tickets. I had a small umbrella and tried to find MA one but we had to make do with just one. The tour bus is an old school bus and forty-six of us wet tourist packed aboard. Our tour guide was a retired scientist, Dick Fox. He was very knowledgeable about the history of Acadia, plants, animals and birds. I did manage to take a few pictures of some of the foliage but not like I could have if it weren’t raining so steadily. In fact I had to hold my umbrella over my camera for the images I did manage to take.
Bar Harbor is in the heart of Maine’s coastal heritage. It is nestled between the mountains of Acadia National Park and the blue Atlantic Ocean. The town of Bar Harbor gets its name from the sand bar which connects one of the islands and is drivable during low tide. The opposite is true in high tide. We made our way back to the ship and had lunch and a nap. The captain just announced that on the next leg to St. John we are expecting strong winds and high seas. This boat should be rocking pretty good! I’m finished for now, more tomorrow.

1 comment:

Comments-Questions-Just Say Hello...........let us hear from you. WW&MA