Thursday, October 15, 2009

Best for Last; Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada













Best for Last-Halifax: Nova Scotia
Of all the ports we have visited this time, I really like Halifax the best. This past year MA and I were blessed to have visited Victoria, BC on the west coast of Canada and now Halifax on the east coast. We had three days in Victoria and I only wish we had the same here. There is so much we didn’t get to see that I’m thinking we may have to come back when we have more time.
We were greeted at the Port of Halifax this morning with sunny to partly cloudy skies and temperatures in the 40’s. It was cold and windy when we got off the ship but the sun seemed to warm up things up along with the great people we meet on these trips. After breakfast (Again, not breaking the pattern here!) we got our coats, camera gear and headed for the gangway.
MA had signed us up for the “Photographers’ Tour of Halifax” because they tend to be smaller groups and more flexible. This tour was larger than I had expected but our guide, Joe McSweeney and bus driver Floyd made it seem like we were the only ones on the bus. Today’s highlight was the hour we spent at Peggy’s Cove, a small fishing village located on the Atlantic Coast. On our way there we made two stops, one at a lake with beautiful fall foliage and the other at a small fishing village.
Peggy’s Cove is one of those places you see on calendars and post cards. The day was gorgeous. There were several lobster boats anchored in the cove, lobster traps lying around everywhere, old floats tied to the walls, rusty anchors, 1800’s style homes right on the water one of which seemed to be supported only by a homemade pier of large rocks.
To all my photography friends: You remember how I emphasize the importance of having and using a tripod! Well this photo day demanded it. I normally set my ISO at 100 (lowest possible) and shoot Aperture Priority and vary the aperture for background in focus or out of focus. It is a neat way to photograph scenic shots. With a polarizing filter screwed onto the front of the 18-200mm lens, the shutter speed varied between 1/6 second to 1/30 second. I don’t know anyone who could hold a camera still at that speed. If you don’t have a tripod, get one, use it. I met this photographer from New York City with a D700, 28-70 2.8 lens and some others, carrying a large tripod with him. He left it in the bus because it was too bulky. I later asked him what ISO he was shooting and he told me between 800 and 1600. Folks you don’t get any “noise” at 100 ISO.
Joe, our guide, had several Irish blessings that I wish I had written down but I do remember one thing he told us about being Irish. He said, “If you’re lucky enough to be Irish, you’re lucky enough.” He won a lot of points when M.A. asked him about her great-great-great Irish grandfather who became a famous politician in Canada and who unfortunately was assassinated on the steps of a local courthouse! Joe recited his whole history for her right there at the door of the bus.
On our way back to the city we stopped at a small church with a very old cemetery and also at the “Citadel”, an overlook of the city. There was a uniformed soldier in full dress kilts and I think MA was smitten by this guy! You can judge this for yourself with the photo I took!
We arrived back to the ship and MA went on aboard while I wandered along the “Harbor Walk” spotting some more great photo opportunities. I made it back to the ship to find MA fretting about where I was and what she was going to do if I missed the boat. We sail this evening, full day at sea tomorrow and early arrival in New York Saturday with a mad dash for the airport so we don’t miss our flight home! So, take care, more later. May the Lord bless you richly with good health as He meets all your needs.



1 comment:

  1. excellent images - red pants are a fairly agressive fashion satement for an ex-cop, but they are pretty jazzy

    more pictures

    ReplyDelete

Comments-Questions-Just Say Hello...........let us hear from you. WW&MA